Over the last 20 years Engineering Geology Ltd has been significantly involved in a considerable number of large mining projects. Our principal involvement has been with the design of tailings storage facilites, but we have also undertaken investigation and design of water storage dams, sediment and contaminated water storage ponds, waste rock stacks, haul roads, geotechnical investigations for process plants and other mining infrastructure facilities.
Our involvement with tailings storage facilites covers pre-feasibility and feasibility studies, design, permitting and consenting, construction supervision, monitoring and surveillance, certification and dam safety reviews. We have experience with designing both downstream and upstream construction embankments (up to 160m high) in high earthquake hazard and high rainfall (3m annual rainfall) conditions and with acid mine drainage potential.
Our main projects include:
- Martha Gold Mine, Waihi, New Zealand for Newmont (1986 - present)
- Macraes Gold Mine, Otago, New Zealand for Oceana Gold (1988 - present)
- Reefton Gold Mine, West Coast, New Zealand for Oceana Gold (1994 - present)
- Stawell Gold Mine, Victoria, Australia for Northgate Minerals (1993 - present)
- Rosia Montana Gold Project, Romania (2000)
- Goro Nickel Project, New Caledonia for Vale Inco (2003 - 2010)
- Chelopech and Krumovgrad Gold Mines, Bulgaria for Dundee Precious Metals (2004 - 2005)
- Kolwezi Gold Project, Congo (2005 - 2006)
- Sorowako Nickel HPAL Project, Indonesia for PT Inco (2006 - 2008)
- Bahodopi Nickel HPAL Project, Indonesia for Vale Inco (2007)
- Pomalaa Nickel HPAL Project, Indonesia for Vale Inco ( 2007 - 2009)
- Frieda River Copper Project, Papua New Guinea (2010)
- Angas Zinc Mine, South Australia (2010)